- Our Firm
- Practice Areas
- Our Attorneys
- News & Events
- Worklaw® Network
Swerdlow Florence Sanchez Swerdlow & Wimmer represents management in virtually all aspects of labor relations and employment law. From multi-billion dollar corporations to medium and small-sized businesses, the firm represents a diverse range of more than 70 industries and professions.
Our firm is committed to delivering the highest quality legal services with a customized approach geared to the special needs of each client. Founders Sy Swerdlow and Ken Florence established the firm in 1984, combining their knowledge and experience gained as labor partners in other major law firms. They set a standard for world-class excellence and client service that continues to thrive today.
The firm’s smaller size is by design and key to our success. As a boutique practice, our high-caliber staff focuses on maintaining a client-centric environment, delivering cutting-edge legal services, controlling costs, and offering competitive rates. We are proud to have earned the prestigious A/V rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
An Employer-Focused Approach
We encourage our clients to prevent, rather than resolve, employer-employee problems.
A successful preventive approach requires both early intervention and education – key components for employers that want to minimize exposure and avoid costly legal disputes. Involving our firm before decisions are made, actions are taken, or events occur can help prevent issues from becoming legal and financial liabilities. And, when management is thoroughly trained and educated to rapidly recognize when legal risks are present, issues can be addressed in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner. When labor and employment issues are involved, prevention is the strategic path to securing a company’s most important resources.
Our comprehensive labor and employment services include:
- Preventive advice to management on workplace-related matters, such as employee discipline and discharge, discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour issues, personnel practices audits, workplace violence, and employee dispute resolution.
- Comprehensive counseling and planning services for employers, including personnel policies, employee handbooks and agreements; pre- and post-employment practices, and planning for workforce reductions, growth and reorganization.
- Management training on legal issues, workplace best practices and risk avoidance.
- Dispute-resolution and litigation expertise in California and federal courts on issues such as wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination, wage and hour matters, and breach of contract.
- Maintaining a union-free employment force, preventing and defending against union-organizing campaigns.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements, protecting employers’ interests during strikes and lockouts.
- Litigating grievances and arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements.
- Representation before federal and state administrative agencies, including:
- U.S. National Labor Relations Board
- U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance
- California Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
- California Employment Development Department
- California and Federal OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Agency)
- California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board